I think there is a singular idea that the left highlights that we do need to sort out: what about those people that fall into the cracks?
Sure, I'm relatively smart and able. I can also tell a long tale of living in a 500 person town and somehow figuring out a way to work a paper route because darnit, I just wanted those radio control car parts! And sure - this yarn includes hard work, some hardship and really just doing it on my own with little support from anyone else. Indeed, my brothers didn't feel the need to do it - it was just me. And that made me actually a select few of that small society - the paper carriers.
But nope, I won't - and I'm not detracting the statements above like a dirty prosecutor at a trial. What I mean is that there are lots of us (or at least a few, like the paper carriers) that have that story - overcoming a little adversity to obtain a piece of what is really the american dream: a free flowing economy means showing up and chasing it down is the bar of which success can be measured. And if you ask me, it is. That is, depending on your encumberances.
I developed post traumatic stress disorder during my final year of college. I had enrolled for at least 2 engineering classes too many considering my 30+ hour load at a local telecom company. On the surface, I had never been better since the co-op was a huge resume booster and the school load was going to get me back on target after 4 years of socializing. Under this stress, however, I cracked. I didn't really ever think it was possible.. especially for me after having been through a lot of stress.
But it happened. Dying was on every thought, every moment, of every day. And it's a lot like being ill... you never really think your going to be like that for long - you just want it to end sooner than later. So we seem to have a bit of builtin optimism for ailments, of which this one seemed. But this didn't dry up and go away. Up to 7 years afterwards, the ailment still remained. On that path I had gone through ups and downs with it and overall had achieved a little bit of learning and career growth amidst it. But the early days, at that same co-op, I was almost driven to tears by my fears (ah.. 'tears for fears'.. I get it now). In reality being strong or able-minded can be a huge draw back - no one really ever realized how I felt. I remember trying to talk about my fears with everyone but it was merely shrugged off by everyone. After all, I admit, it was more than a tad of a long shot I was actually in a situation that would mean my immediate demise. Not many people were around to sooth or support me on getting some inspection into the issue - I was afraid of the truth. And so I existed ... in a sort of stasis bubble between belief and reality. For years.
So wow - how the HECK does that tie into those in the cracks? I admit, the above was slightly drawn out but for a reason - we shouldn't underestimate the complete and true impact our belief systems and situations can have on people's lives. In my case, I went from a guy that just thought and was proven in 'just get up and do it' to a guy that could barely get out of bed in the morning and feared another day. The event that caused the dichotomy was also just a few minutes of my life. Can you imagine living in the ghetto for your WHOLE life, going through many traumatic events? Is it right to be a product of that? I don't think it should be approved of but yet what else do we expect? From my own experiences (and I don't wish the PTSD on anyone) I understand that the human mind doesn't work like that. We aren't the borg. Sure, I think that genetics have something to do with how well you can slam dunk a basketball (those that argue with this point are dogmatic in their equlities) OR how well you do in Art (I love it but I suck at it) or Math (ok, I'm ok at this...). I am fine in being 'real' about this and everyone else should be too.
But the cracks remain in a society like america. Just like I couldn't keep up with a work / school schedule while going through PTSD, I don't think those that grow up in generational poverty / ghettos can possibly get up one day and go to Harvard. I mean yeah - there will be that one kid that had a good support system that breaks out, but to agree with a long time of latency with a friend from college - I think your screwed from day 1. And since it's generational and learned by some degree it won't go away without some intervention.
So.. I said it - intervention. That usually means that we feel that it's our right to get involved with someone else because they are unequivacably screwing their lives up. To be honest, I can't really find a ton wrong with this definition for the average person in the ghetto _when viewed in terms of living in the United States_. Sure - their lifestyle is actually pretty great and high end when compared with a LOT of people in the world, but in the US it's going to cause nothing but mental strife for everyone involved.
We need to figure out a way to help empower those that fall into the cracks. I don't think that the fatherless kids walking around the mall and breaking into cars know much better in their hearts. They need that example. It's easy to go on about how I never did that crap and how I worked. But you know, I didn't grow up in the ghetto. I wish I had a lot more growing up but hey, I am what I am. The fact is, unlike so many out there, I can say that I too would be pulled into lots of harm and trouble if I didn't have a good character example, someone to straighten me out and lots of peer's families to find myself wanting to be like.
This isn't available there - where is THAT solution? With that solution, we don't need welfare or social programs or whatever. With that solution we orient others to be at peace in life and enable them to take full advantage of what is out there as an opportunity for a lot of others. But only once they are no longer encumbered by the sins of the figures of their past.
I can't support generational ghettos with no future but I can support building something that enables freedoms to be acted upon. And if that means hip-hop and building custom cars for everyone, then lets go for it. Along the way those acts will need flyers made on a computer and tools sold to the garages - all good jobs that if one felt he 'could' he just 'might'.
Til next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment