At first I was going to rehash the seemingly endless spew about how fairness really comes down to the contributors of a society and blah blah blah.
Well, that might be whats fair... on paper. But lets think about 'fair' for a while, shall we?
Does society not stand at least a little on the minimum wage making persons? I don't know about you but a part of me thinks about it, just a little, when I go to say Taco Bell for a quick snack or am buying toilet paper at the drug store. I ain't saying a shed a tear - after all, anyone that's in American has already whooped the hard part about life. But... I realize it. Heck, maybe that's why I only eat and drink at restaurants where tipping is acceptable. That or perhaps its something to do with food quality...
All I am saying is that perhaps we do benefit from this lower 20%. I am unsure if I am saying I know what to do about a lot of the issues with social programs and all that exist in a tax-n-spend nation like ours but I know enough to consider the history class I was begrudgingly made to attend. In that class, we learned that the Pilgrims came here for religeous freedoms but also freedoms from things like debtors prisons and unusual punishment. Some approaches that really did seem to make a whole lot of sense in the recent financial crisis that is going to cost a lot of non-greedy people a whole bunch of money and worse - years of bewilderment in their lives. And though the pilgrims might be classified by the many as 'ignorant slave owners' they're offspring made ended up making the constitution a bit like I think they regarded themselves - open to change because nothing is ever quite perfect.
I would like to think I can live up to this sort of now forgotten wisdom. So much of life is someone telling you about how 'everything is going to be alright when...' and then it gets implemented just to prove a whole slew of other problems.
I know on paper I am someone that sort of thrives in thinking outside the box only to be compelled to stay inside the box anyway for a feeling of grounded-ness.
That's OK - thinking openly and broadly doesn't give me too much pain, really. And maybe it shouldn't to the average American, either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment